See, this is a 2T cut to a 4T length. And it was perfect for length on Nikki. I guessed and cut it one size longer and it turns out I was right. The directions were also too brief if you're aiming for a beginning sewer. I actually followed them since I was testing the pattern. Truthfully, there are easier ways to achieve this garment. There were absolutely no instructions for the waistband casing. The neckline casing and arm casings would have been easier to achieve with bias tape--less bulk to sew through, and less ironing. Since I was working with polyester satin and organza, I really should have done it my way because there would have been a lot less fraying.
The pattern itself had no instructions on how it should be assembled. Part of my difficulties might have come from that. I taped it together as best I could without any information on how it went together.I'm sure that it was slightly bigger because I'm used to sewing with PDF patterns from places like the Peek-a-Boo Pattern shop that have to lay the paper side-by-side and tape it instead of on top of each other. There was also nothing on how big the seam allowances should be or if they needed added in.
Next, the skirt and the waist seams didn't match--I had to ease in the skirt because the opening was bigger than the bodice bottom. Also, there were no instructions as to reinforcing the raglan sleeves. This is a common problem, and to be honest, I've never seen a pattern or sewing book that says to do it, even though it's a necessity. My mother and grandmother taught me that--if you don't reinforce it, the sleeves will easily rip out.
And next to last--these are full circle skirts here. If I didn't sew vintage, I'd have no idea how to go about hemming them, and I certainly wouldn't know that it needs to be hung up for a minimum of 24 hours to allow the bias cut bits to stretch before you hem it. And that wasn't mentioned. The skirt was a full two inches longer in some places after being hung up.
Last but not least, fishing line through the hem, as the pattern suggests, will only give the desired result if it's the correct weight. The pattern doesn't give a weight of line, so I used what was laying around... and it wasn't the right weight. My version doesn't have that lovely ripple effect in the pattern picture because I didn't use the same fishing line that she did.
Nikki loved it, though. She calls it her "Super dress" as in Supergirl. :) Baby Alex's nursery is decorated in Superman, and the colors are right, so it's on the brain! Look for Ricky's birthday present post in the next few days.