Sunday, September 16, 2012

Ruminatons

First I have to say that I'm sorry it's been so long--I've been busy dealing with a leg infection, having to get new glasses, and the girls.  I have several posts in the works, I promise.

I don't know why I do this.  Every time consignment season rolls around and every once in a while, I dig around ebay looking for new-condition second hand clothes for Lizzy.  Unlike her parents, I can't afford to buy new, and her mother doesn't measure her for me, so I can't make them.  (I've asked.  It doesn't work.)  My sister is a stay-at-home mom.  She and her husband decided to do it that way, since he makes a really good salary--by that, I mean in excess of 100,000/year.  Yeah. They make more than the rest of the family put together.  Which is why I don't get why their kids look like they're homeless unless they're wearing clothes that Mom and I buy or make.

I have nothing against good quality second hand.  But I'm picky about what I buy.  I want stuff that looks like it's new or nearly new... not something that looks like it's been through four kids.  Not faded, not pilly, not stained.  Sarah has no such compunctions and prefers to buy in bulk or to get 'em from Freecycle.  And around here, nine times out of ten, Freecycled stuff is barely one step above garbage.  Don't get me wrong--I have gotten a few nice things from Freecycle.  But more people seem to utilize it as a free garbage haul away service than anything!  As a result, her kids are dressed in barely better than rags!

I'm all for stretching a dollar, but the pinch penny attitude of my brother in law and sister really get me.  Yes, kids grow fast.  Yes, they're going to spend time playing and probably ruining some of their clothes.  But if you put Gracie and Nikki next to Ricky and Lizzy, you'd think that Gracie and Nikki come from a family that has more money or something.  I mean, my sister's kids aren't neglected or anythign--they've got what they need, it's just not nice stuff--it's not even nice, but disposable Wal-Mart, Kmart, or Target clothes. 

We bought Lizzy's pretty dresses and Ricky's Sunday slacks, shirt, vest, and tie.  I'm looking for nice shoes for them online because Sarah says she doesn't ever pay more than $5 for shoes for them.  I never pay more than Payless retail, but I'm getting the good ones for the kids. Because with shoes, you really do get what you pay for and they need good shoes for developing feet.  (We're big fans of Stride Rite and Pediped here and retail they're both expensive brands.)

I have five dresses, one play outfit, and a sweater sitting her for Lizzy.  One of those dresses has a matching coat, and another still has the tags on it (that's to be her Christmas dress) and so does the sweater.  And since Sarah won't come and see us and with having to be here to pick up Gracie, it's a hard thing to get to her house and back in time and have some visiting time, we're going to have to mail it.  I guess it's because I can't stand to see the kids in the by-the-pound-thrift-store clothes she buys for them.  I've found some fantastic things in thrift stores...  but I've done it by being picky, not taking whatever they've got!

No comments:

Post a Comment