Tuesday, May 22, 2012
"Tangled" dress-- Simplicity 2065
Bit is having a Tangled birthday party next week, complete with a tower birthday cake. Since Simplicity has a pattern out, I naively volunteered to make it, thinking it would be simple. It's not. Now I've constructed some fairly complex garments in the past, but this one takes the cake. The bodice, front and back, has five pieces. Then there's ten grommets, it's fully lined, and has a facing. I will however, admit that the prepwork takes longer than anything--there are ribbons appliqued on the sleeves, the sleeves themselves are in two pieces, with more ribbon added to cover seams. Add to that the two skirts, plus the lining skirt (that I didn't make because Bit has crinolines already) and I swear they were trying to make the costume bulletproof. I broke five needles attempting to do the necessary serging of the waist. I ended up fray checking it just to be sure--poly organza and poly satin have a tendency to fray if you look at them wrong!
Gracie is in love. In her almost four-year-old eyes, it's the prettiest dress ever because it's her favorite colors.
I would like to say that in my opinion, it runs a little small. It's hard to zip up, and I used less than the called-for seam allowances. (I did 1/2 instead of 5/8) I haven't decided yet if I'm going to put the half crinoline on underneath, too, yet. Most likely, I'll talk my SIL into coming over to help decide if she needs it. It still needs a hook and eye in the back, but other than that it's done. I promised her that if it still fit come Halloween, I'd make the hair, too, but with the way it fits, I doubt it will!
Update: (October 2012) Bit's preschool is having a storybook character themed Halloween party, so this is being reused as a Halloween costume, too! Considering the tight fit, I'm thankful that it does still fit! And, well, I'm not sure I'd make this again.