Tuesday, May 22, 2012

"Tangled" dress-- Simplicity 2065



Bit is having a Tangled birthday party next week, complete with a tower birthday cake.  Since Simplicity has a pattern out, I naively volunteered to make it, thinking it would be simple.  It's not.  Now I've constructed some fairly complex garments in the past, but this one takes the cake.  The bodice, front and back, has five pieces.  Then there's ten grommets, it's fully lined, and has a facing.  I will however, admit that the prepwork takes longer than anything--there are ribbons appliqued on the sleeves, the sleeves themselves are in two pieces, with more ribbon added to cover seams.  Add to that the two skirts, plus the lining skirt (that I didn't make because Bit has crinolines already) and I swear they were trying to make the costume bulletproof.  I broke five needles attempting to do the necessary serging of the waist.  I ended up fray checking it just to be sure--poly organza and poly satin have a tendency to fray if you look at them wrong!

Gracie is in love.  In her almost four-year-old eyes, it's the prettiest dress ever because it's her favorite colors.


I would like to say that in my opinion, it runs a little small.  It's hard to zip up, and I used less than the called-for seam allowances.  (I did 1/2 instead of 5/8)  I haven't decided yet if I'm going to put the half crinoline on underneath, too, yet.  Most likely, I'll talk my SIL into coming over to help decide if she needs it.  It still needs a hook and eye in the back, but other than that it's done.  I promised her that if it still fit come Halloween, I'd make the hair, too, but with the way it fits, I doubt it will!

Update: (October 2012) Bit's preschool is having a storybook character themed Halloween party, so this is being reused as a Halloween costume, too!  Considering the tight fit, I'm thankful that it does still fit!  And, well, I'm not sure I'd make this again.

10 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful little dress! She looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is gorgeous! sounds complicated...man, I'd love an aunt like you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful dress! Sounds like the name "simplicity" is deceiving for this pattern, but must have been worth it to see that pretty smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful dress! You did such a lovely job on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful dress!! She totally loves it. :) Thanks for the helpful pattern review too; I will definitely keep it in mind if my daughter asks for a Rapunzel dress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely beautiful! I've made dresses like this, and it's truly incredible how many pieces there are. You've done a fantastic job, and what a happy little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's absolutely gorgeous! Your daughter looks completely in love! At least she's using it more that once!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully done. Congrats. I am just beginning this pattern and feel it is a little daunting. I am not a great seamstress by any stretch. I hope it turns out half as good as yours. Your little Bit sure looks happy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. step 6 putting the lace on the bottom of the bodice. I'm thinking I should just add this when the dress is finished. ok so step 7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on if you want the wrong edge of the lace to show... I put it in the seam. It's a bit like doing piping.

      Delete