Tuesday, July 31, 2012

one of those days....

Gracie starts preschool on Monday.  This is only important because I promised her a new dress to wear the first day of school, and she requested a pink Winnie the Pooh dress.  I chose a 1983 pattern-- McCalls 8859.  It was interesting, and I kinda liked the look of the short sleeve version.  Of course, I updated it a bit--a wider neckline, longer, one fabric only, and no flower appliques.  I spent a lot of time tracking down some vintage pewter Pooh buttons and I'm finishing it off with some faux "frogs" that go between the buttons.

And it's in the only pink Pooh fabric I could find.  It has the most complex pleat system I've ever seen, combined with piping down the princess seams.  First in today's comedy of errors, my buttonhole/piping/cording foot has gone missing.  I know what happened to it--she'll be fifteen months old in three days and she goes by Nikki.  I love her to pieces, but like her sister before her, she picks up things and hides them.  I still haven't found all the bias tape that Gracie hid at that age!  Sewing frustrated is a bad idea.  Very, very, very bad idea.  I sewed through my right pointer finger.  And not just a nick--I had to physically remove the needle and then cut the thread so I could pull that out, too!

I lost the sleeves more than once.  After I got the pieces of the princess seams sewn together and serged, I discovered that my lack of the proper foot had screwed me up and I had to redo the piped seams.  Which meant hand sewing for two and a half hours.  And during this I clipped myself with the point of my shears.

It's not finished yet.  The sleeves are pinned in, and all six frogs are pinned on so  I can't lose them.  I'm about to do something similar to the baggie of Pooh buttons!  Here's hoping that tomorrow is better--I still have Nikki's new dress to make, and Gracie needs a blanket to take to school with her!

No comments:

Post a Comment