Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I survived

Well, I survived the incursion.  Having my bedroom taken away for three nights, having to put up with some of the worst tantrums I've ever seen, the bruises from dealing with said tantrums, the interrupted sleep due to screaming fits in the middle of the night, the withdrawal from sewing...  I'm grateful that we could finally send them home tonight.  And I never, EVER want to do that again.  Not that I wanted to the first time.

All I have to say is that she'd better get control of that kid before too long or she's going to have a juvenile delinquent on her hands.  And they seem to start earlier and earlier these days!  This "I'm reasoning with him" stuff is pure garbage and doesn't work.  I have a degree in early childhood education.  That means that I've learned a lot about child development.  The rule of thumb for attention span is age plus two minutes.  Here on Granny Lane, that's how long time outs last... unless we're forced to add on more.  Ricky fought, screamed, bit, kicked...  Makes me very, very thankful for Little Bit and Baby Bit!  We nipped LB's tantrums in the bud really, really early.  She knows that Grandma and Aunt Laura don't put up with them--tantrums mean that she needs a time out and then a nap to our minds.

Ricky, though...  I wish my sister luck and a firm hand.  She's going to need both.

1 comment:

  1. It amazes me when parents think that type of thing is acceptable simply because the person in question is a kid.

    ReplyDelete