Thursday, February 16, 2012

Project Planning

Gracie is starting preschool in August.  (Be still, my heart!)  It's hard for me to believe that the little pink thing that I could hold in two hands is almost old enough for school.  And I'm not sure I want to let go yet.  Her Mom and I have been working on the alphabet and letter sounds with an eye towards her being able to read.  She knows numbers to ten, and we're working on getting that further along, too.  Yes, I know that school is for that, but being ahead is a good thing and she wants to read so badly that we're gonna help her.

So how does this lead to a sewing project?  Kindergarten in this area requires kids to have their own nap mats.  I'm not sure if preschools do, but if they do, we want her to have something nicer to nap on than nasty plastic.  Last August, Melissa over on Sew Like My Mom posted a Nap Mat Tutorial.  I found it via Grosgrain and promptly fell in love with the idea and saved it.  I showed it to Joanna, and she's in love, too.  Now that school is looming this year, I found it again, and I've started hunting for materials.

The thing is, I'm going to need the Daydreamer model of mats. It's not that she's wide, it's that she's tall.  The original Kindermats are only 44" long, and Bit is already 42" tall.  Yep, that's right, my three-and-a-half year old niece is 3'6.  She's grown about six inches since last August.  At this rate, she'll be almost seven feet tall by the time she's stopped growing.  (My brother is 6'7 and my sister-in-law is 5'10, so tall isn't a surprise.)  So I need to add a bit of yardage to make sure I have enough.  I've done my research, and Joanns is the most cost effective place to buy minky for the blanket.

I'm not using it for the pillowcase, though.  Cotton or cotton/poly seems like a better, less hot choice.  Now I'm just looking for the other fabrics.The minky will probably come home with me this week, because it's on sale right now.  I'll be asking about a theme... perhaps Pooh?  He is, after all, one of Gracie's favorite people!

No comments:

Post a Comment