Saturday, November 12, 2011

Measuring tapes and sewing notions.

Somewhere in my house, there's a stash of bias tape and thread that Bit has stolen over the years and hidden.  And while I'm not the best housekeeper, I'm nowhere near the worst, either, I have yet to find the missing materials, but sooner or later...  Measuring tapes have also always been a favorite.  I've never managed to get the pictures off my camera phone, but I have a picture of her when she was just walking with one of my measuring tapes hanging around her neck and trailing behind her.

Today, I measured the girls.  I try and do this once a month so that I have a complete set of measurements for them so I can make clothes that fit.I have everything from the length of their arms, to how big their wrists are.  And I get how long it is from their shoulder to their neck, how long from waist to knee, torso length... Yeah, I measure everything.  That way, I know what I'm making will fit. I didn't do it when Bit was a baby, because infant patterns are based on weight, so I didn't bother.   Maybe it's genetic.  Bit didn't see measuring tapes until she was almost a year old, but I'm sewing for Baby Boo because lots of Bit's outgrown clothes were lost in the flood of 2009. 

Mine!  This is the best teething thing ever!
Boo has decided that measuring tapes are to be chewed on, and cries when you take it away.  I gave her the yellow one (I wanted to use the same tape for all the measurements) to sub, but apparently, the white one is yummier.  She dropped the yellow one in a minute once she could get her hands on the white one again, and dragged it with her everywhere for the rest of the day.  And I do mean drag--she's started to low crawl, and she didn't let the tape measure leave her sight!

It's yummy, Aunt Laura!

2 comments:

  1. I don't want to tell you what to do, but you may want to consider taking the little metal parts off of the ends of the measuring tapes. My 2 year old used to love them too, and I once found one of those metal things in her mouth. You would be surprised how easy they come off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you were freaking out! Thanks, I probably will. :) Lucky for now that Boo ignores the ends in favor of chewing on the middle of the tapes. And she only has a chance to chew on them right after I measure her, so....

    ReplyDelete