Sunday, January 8, 2012


For Christmas this year, I received three sets of Aunt Martha's Ballpoint Embroidery paint and two hoops.  And me being me, I just had to play with them!  So when we had to make a Wal-Mart run yesterday for drop in bottle liners, I grabbed some 12 month onesies to play with, and last night, I broke out the paints.

Over the years, I've acquired a few stencils that I have lying around.  So my first thought was to stretch out a onesie on the hoop (with a so-called blotter underneath... they're really just paper towels) trace the stencil onto the onesie, and fill it in.   I discovered that this stuff dries quickly, and it's possible to layer colors.  (All three sets were used here)  And I also discovered how cursed hard it is to get the tips on these paints to start up!

My next experiment was in color layering, and I chose to keep a few more stencil characteristics.  I'm not sure this was entirely successful, and I think I need to go back to the roses and fill in the gaps with a lighter yellow.  I don't like the red, either--it's too orange, but I couldn't get the Cherry red from the jewel tone set to start.  It's defective, so I'll be sending it back to Amazon for a replacement.

Gracie has a shirt with Cookie Monster on it that says "'G' is for GRACIE", so I thought it only fair that Nikki had one, too.  Lucky for me, I had a Cookie Monster patch hanging around, so I didn't have to try and free hand him.  And letter stencils from the sign I made for my flower garden last spring. I can put them on Nikki Thursday, because they have to sit for at least 48 hours so they don't come off.  And, well, I'd rather wait a bit longer to be sure.

I'll probably experiment more later, but these don't look bad for a first try!

No comments:

Post a Comment