Thursday, June 16, 2011

Knits and other scary things

Probably the scariest things I've ever sewn are knits.  Sure, they're less ravel-y than wovens, but they've got lots of stretch, which, frankly, is scary.  Without meaning to, you can create something that's so stretched out of shape that it's ruined.  And today, I'm  sewing up knits. 

Okay, it's not all knits.  I'm making  Simplicity 3971.  They're classic jammies, and I'm making the tank top to go underneath.  I was lucky enough to find a blue knit that matched the blue stripes in the cotton/poly shirting that I'm making the PJs out of.


Here's my shirting.  It's lightweight, because it's a blend, won't wrinkle like 100% cotton will, and IMHO, pretty much perfect for summer jammies.  To make it even better, I got knit at Joanns for around a $1 a yard (the shirting was $1.93/yard) so this was a fairly inexpensive project.  I'm going to do my topstitching with matching blue thread.  And yes, I've tried topstitching thread, but my machine is allergic to it and refuses to sew with it in.  I don't know why, but I may be talking to my repair man over at Kirby Sew and Vac in Mableton.  Yeah, it's a long trip, but they're fantastic, so it's soooo worth it.  Yes, my machine is old (it was state-of-the-art in 1965) but they specialize in the old machines.  And I love my Pfaff 1222E.  I learned to sew on a 1222, so I'm familiar with its' quirks and I don't like the newer ones much.  Too high-tech, too easy for something to go wrong.

Anyway, I spent hours yesterday cutting out (and cleaning strawberries) And today I'm ready to start sewing.  This weekend, because I'm going to a baby shower next week, I'm making the Hip Mama Diaper Bag.  I've gathered the materials, purchased a rolly foot, so it's now a matter of buckling down and getting it done.

I'll post pics of the jammies, and you'll be hearing more about the diaper bag.  And for once, my rotary cutting mat and the cutter and ruler that go with it will be used for more than quilting.  Oh, well, it's better than gathering dust the way it was before I started quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment