Monday, June 13, 2011

*sigh*

Today was, unfortunately, not a sewing day.  More like a shopping/cooking/comedy of errors day.  I pulled my pattern pieces out, only to discover that in my sewing fugue of Christmas (13 pairs of pajamas in a little over a month--I'd lost my ever-lovin' mind!)  I'd cut off the size I needed for Joanna's birthday summer PJs.  Luckily for my budget, Simplicity patterns are on sale this week for $1.99 each, so it was off to Joanns.  I also discovered that I was out of waistband elastic, which meant that Wal-Mart was on the list for today.  Now, at Joanns, elastic sells on average for $0.99/yard.  If I go to Wal-Mart, they've been selling pre-cut, pre-packaged elastic for years for that price... 3 yards each.  The price has gone up a bit, but I'll take $1.37 for three yards over Joann's price any day.  I cleaned them out, which, frankly, with the way they've cut the craft department, isn't hard.  I also got new sheets because mine are almost pretty much worn out.  Not a fantastic deal, but meh, they were what I needed and I couldn't wait for a sale.  Last stop was Publix.  We've been looking into the coupon thing, because, well, if anyone needs to save money, we do.  (So I can spend it on fabric ;) )

Today, we think we got a good deal.  This week, Publix has a deal where you buy 1 box of Pillsbury brownie mix (which is on sale for $0.99) and one container of Pillsbury frosting (BOGO $3.00) and get $2.00 off milk.  Now, we had a $0.40 coupon for the brownie mix, which doubles and makes the brownie mix $0.19/box.  and a $0.50 coupon for the frosting, which also doubles, so it was $0.50/canister.  Which made it so we were going to pay $1.00 for a gallon of milk.  Score!  Only they were out of Pillsbury brownie mix.  Because it was so complex, they told us to choose another brand and they'd give it to us for the sale price, take the Pillsbury coupons, and we could still use the milk deal.  Double score!  We got the Ghiradelli brownie mix as a substitute for $0.19!  I can't buy the flour for that.

Then I got to go home and start cooking.  We had a turkey in the deep freeze that needed to leave, and so we had a mini-Thanksgiving for Joanna's birthday.  Which meant that while I managed to cut the new pattern apart and out of the surrounding paper, I didn't mange anything else because I spent the rest of the day in the kitchen cooking.

Tomorrow, I have a lesson on my new serger, and then if I'm lucky, I can get stuff cut out and start sewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment